View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:12 pm

Soda water batter and Panko Fish 

Post Soda water batter and Panko Fish
I don't know if any of you guys have tried this method but i thought i'd pull an old cat out of the bag from my chef days... ;)

This is definately my #1 preffered method for eating and cooking fish, and even though deep/shallow fried it is not oily at all :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

what you will need:
1x small bottle soda/mineral water
Self Raising Flour
Panko (Japanese Breadcrumbs) generally found in your asian food isle/baking goods, or alternatively can usually be found in your small specialty grocer shops.

For step one you will make your batter, the most important thing here is not to thoroughly mix the batter. I usually use a spoon or the bottom end of a knife, and just mix it roughly so there are still clusters of flour/air bubbles. you may seem skeptical but this really helps give the finished product more of a crisp cooked finish. NOTE:you do not want to make your batter really thick.

With your Panko, it is best to pour it onto a plate, makes it easier to avoid getting chunks of batter and panko stuck together which you really don't want! :x

you need to be quick when coating your battered fish in panko. If you aren't you will lose alot of the batter from the fish and it will just mess up your panko.

COOKING: is generally really quick this way. You only cook the fish until the panko is golden/light brown in colour otherwise you'll be stuck eating dry fish :roll:

Best served with Lemon/tartare :mrgreen: :roll: :D ;)

Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:30 pm

Post Re: Soda water batter and Panko Fish
this method also makes good fingerfood! just cut your fish up into small bite sized pieces and the mouths your feeding will be impressed ;) :roll:

Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:37 pm

what sort of ratios of soda water do you use in the batter mate? Keen to try this out!

Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:11 pm

i dont know the ratio but i do it to the point where it is as thick as melted icecream (if that helps?)

makes awesome home made fish fingers too

Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:50 pm